Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My First Threading Experience

A small preface: I've never waxed my face. I've tweezed my brows and chin, but obviously that only removes one hair at a time. My facial hair isn't particularly thick (it's thickest on my chin, but still fairly fine) and is mostly blonde save for my brows and some hairs on my chin. For the past few years I've gotten more and more darker coloured hairs on my chin. I've looked up different methods of hair removal (waxing,threading,threading-like devices such as myspringit,tweezing,dilapitory creams,shaving) to try to find a method that would work for me. 

Waxing was never really an option due to my acne. It fluxuated for a while before getting bad at the end of grade 11. Toward the end of grade 12 I went on Acutane (isotretinoin). My skin was pretty sensitive while on the medication so I stuck with plucking with a tweezer. My older sister uses a dilapitory cream sometimes but I don't feel comfortable putting something that strong onto my face. A nurse from the dermatologists office I went to recommended that I try threading.


***


Threading seemed like a good option to me, but I never looked into it seriously until the past month or so. I've never had my brows shaped by someone else but I've done a bit myself. Through trial and error (I try to not think about the error stage too much), I've found that fuller eyebrows look better on me. I don't do much to them aside from filling in sparse areas with brow pencil/powder. While I do like the thickness, I wasn't happy the shape (or lack thereof). 

I found Brow Spa 24 at University Mall in Orem. The lady who did my threading was very nice and did a good job. The spa itself was very clean and nice.

As for the pain I'd say overall it was a 4/10 but some areas were closer to a 7/10. I didn't feel much on my chin or between my brows and surprisingly it didn't hurt much to get my upper lip done. The areas where I felt the most pain were just below my temples and around the brow area (above, below,sides), below my lip, and at my hairline. After she had gone through everything she applied some sort of gel/cream that really soothed any lingering pain/burn. She touched up a few spots after that and trimmed my brows up a bit (my eyebrow hairs can get long haha). 

The only place I feel residual pain (not very noticeable) is at my hairline, the center of where my jaw and neck meet (go straight back to the neck from my chin), and just above my eyebrows (when touched). 

My eyebrows are the only place that you can see a difference. I can feel the difference in the other areas and I'm quite pleased. Below are some pre and post threading photos.

Pre-threading; filled brows (poorly done because I was in a hurry that day)

Pre-threading; unfilled brows
Pre-threading; unfilled brows

POST THREADING


Post threading; unfilled brows

Post-threading; filled brows
Post-threading; filled brows (straight-on shot)
I apologize for the wild hair; I got it trimmed last weekend and I am having a hard time adjusting to the layers on the top part.

I don't like how thin and short my brows ended up. My brain didn't really kick in for me to ask her to leave them full and just shape/clean them up. It looks fine filled in, but I definitely will not be going anywhere anytime soon with unfilled brows.

The cost for full face was $38. I think that's a reasonable price; honestly I'm quite unsure considering that I've never had something like this done before. I will be going back in the future, though I will remember to ask to have my brows left fuller.

If you have any questions, please ask! I'll try to answer them as best I can. :)

-Mary
p.s. has anyone seen Pacific Rim? I saw it right after threading (while I waited for the redness to subdue lol) and loved it!!! Ahhh so many good things in that movie! I totally recommend seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment